AccessibilityCopyrightContentsPrivacy
Welcome > Information > Playing Fields

Beaudesert Sports Field and Recreation Ground

Playing Fields
Playing Fields

For more than a hundred years our field was known as the ‘Cricket Field’. Every time there was a match a good family crowd of people from all around the area would turn up to watch and enjoy the afternoon.

The land is not public property owned and run by the Council, but given in Trust by George Paget - Earl of Uxbridge & Marquess of Anglesey – becoming ‘Beau Desert Sports Club Ground’ - in a Deed signed on 27th May 1946 ‘for the use of the inhabitants of the Parishes of Gentleshaw & Cannock Wood’, being the neighbourhood surrounding the Marquess’ former home in Beaudesert Old Park.

Today this area forms the Village of Cannock Wood which is in the Parish of Cannock Wood in the Cannock Chase District, and Gentleshaw which is in the Parish of Longdon in Lichfield District.

The Management Meeting dated 28th November 1969 decided, as all the original Trustees had died and there remained only 3 people who were successors of those in the original posts of Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire, The Chairman of Staffordshire Education Committee & the Vicar of the Parish of Gentleshaw, to draw up a new Deed as the 2 former representatives would prefer to act as Custodian Trustees rather than serve on the Management Committee. Finally being sealed by the Charity Commission of 18th January 1979 and becoming Beaudesert Sports Field & Recreation Ground Trust. (Charity number 509660)

Today the court and pitches are maintained mostly by the Clubs using them with extra help cutting the grass and hedges etc. Funds are always needed to pay for the cutting of all of the grass for up to 9 times each year - This costs between £750-£1000.00+. Insurance which is compulsory for an open Community Area - costs anything up to and in excess of £1000.00 each year. Old equipment needs to be replaced and new more up to date equipment suitable for the use of all ages and abilities need to be provided. This is done without any source of regular income by the current Management Committee (see below).

Management Committee

  • Chair / Cannock Wood Parish Council: Pat Ansell 01543 685262
  • Treasurer: John Tonks 01543 684847
  • Secretary: Sue Holiday 01543 673616
  • Booking Secretary: Pat Ansell 01543 685262
  • Longdon Parish Council: Brian Butler
  • Cannock Wood Football Team: Andy West
  • Cannock Wood Cricket Club: Gwyn Samuel
  • Gentleshaw Parochial Church Council: Secretary
  • Cannock Wood Boys U11 Football Team: Dave Shelton
  • Cannock Wood Junior’s Football team: Richard Fowler
  • Local Resident: Avril Green
  • Cannock Wood Basketball Team: Currently vacant

Current amenities

Include the 6.410 Acre Field open to all, although dogs must be kept on a lead and any mess collected and put into the bin provided. We have a children’s play area with equipment suitable for 4 to 12 year olds, equipment suitable for anyone over the age of 12 years who enjoys gentle exercise - this includes items that are disabled friendly - Helpful instructions are on the centre post of each piece of equipment. There is also a Football Pitch, a Cricket Pitch and our Basket Ball Court which was donated by the George Meredith Trust in memory of local boy George who died aged 12 years as a result of a mountain climbing accident in 1999.

The Field is available for hire for suitable organisations. Enquiries welcome and may be made to any member of the Committee.

Horse riding and golf practice is not permitted.

Photograph by John Twinning Photography – www.twinningfineart.co.uk


Top of page